Saturday, January 23, 2010

Second interlude: Moar crochet and yes, I fangirl on occasion.

So, instead of working on costumes like a good little costume blogger, I've been doing more crocheting. Why? Because I don't sleep. Instead of sleeping, I watch episodes of the new series of Doctor Who on my netbook, and it's much easier to do that while crocheting than while cutting and sewing costumes.


Following as a natural progression from my Doctor Who-a-thon, I've been poking around to see where else I can find David Tennant's lovely Scottish visage and tremendous acting versatility. Though, sadly, I can't see him as Katurian K. Katurian (yes, that middle K is what you think it is) in McDonagh's The Pillowman (I learned he was in that completely coincidentally, by seeing his name listed in my copy of the script), I found a few other things, including the BBC and Masterpiece Theatre's 2004 TV series Casanova.
I could comment on how much I loved the costumes, or how interesting it was to watch the main character, or not really the character but how you're meant to perceive him, which makes it all the more interesting, change so subtly from hero to anti-hero that you barely notice the transformation until it smacks you in the face, but I'll refrain. For now.
While watching, my hands meandered over to a crochet hook and some yarn. After a few false starts (which I will lie and blame on my being riveted to the goings-on in the show, rather than the less interesting but true reason of my not being able to settle on a pattern), I found myself creating another doll, this one of Casanova himself. My style still declines to include limbs or facial features other than facial hair -- eyebrows in this case -- but appears adorable nonetheless. I also plan to make a Henriette, and probably a Bellino.









(I think his hair could use a bit more work. If work is done, I'll update the pictures. I'll also update the pictures if I splurge on Corel PSPyada-yada-yada, and can edit photos to a wonderful state of semi-realism again.)




After my experiences with this doll I decided enough is enough, and I really should draw up a pattern and follow it each time to make my plushies more uniform in their shape. I did, and I may post/sell it online after I've put more effort into marketing my own services as dollmaker. I'm not at that point though, so avid crocheters and DIY-inclined fangirls will simply have to wait. I'm seriously considering revising my pattern almost entirely, to make the dolls a bit larger and let them sit up more readily without assistance. We'll see how that goes, though.


I have another costume planned, with a post forthcoming after I get some much-needed sleep. Bon soir!

No comments:

Post a Comment