Saturday, March 20, 2010

Busy, but look, I found some sleeves!

I still haven't gotten around to taking pictures of my latest work on the frock coat, but that's perfectly alright as I haven't even posted all the old ones.

Here's one from when I had the sleeves on, before I ripped them off for reasons explained in a previous post.
Note the disproportionately large sleeves, and one cuff.


I remember having some trouble figuring out to sew skirts so they would lie flat in the back and look as elegant as they're supposed to. The pattern wasn't incredibly specific on that point, as on many other points, but I found a way to make it work rather nicely. Since I knew I wouldn't want to add a button to the middle vent (no matter how much my mother suggests it - sometimes enlisting your mom as your assistant has its ups and downs), I handstitched that vent closed to hide the raw edges, and I think that looks quite good as well.


Behold, I iron things! In this case, I think I was pressing the skirts flat after sewing the lining to the outer material. Stan and his peewee hockey team seem shocked by my iron -- or maybe by my aged sewing machine barely visible in the lower right corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment