Friday, December 25, 2009

Short skirt, short post

To give myself a little break from the fingertip-killing handstitchery of the Basilietta Hat (I'd actually planned this before I started on the hat, but the hat became a higher priority very quickly due to its increased "win-tential"), I began and completed work on a short petticote for myself out of a lightweight muslin from my local insanely-cheap fabric store. I also picked up some silkier fabric that'll be used for another petticote that I can layer with the first one or wear separately. At this point I'm not sure if I'll make it longer or shorter, or wear it above or below the first, or if it'll even certamente end up as another petticote, but I'll work that out once I rescue the fabric from its holiday basement banishment and see how much I actually purchased.

So, the petticote. Take a few yards of light muslin, with very useful selvages (no hemming! YAY!), add a whole motherload of gathering, a bunch of handstitching and some final machine-sewing for good measure, and voila, a simple but hopefully effective petticote.


(Voila: Simple petticote. Lost the ribbon for my corset, which is why I'm holding it shut)

I made it shorter because I figure it wouldn't be too noticeable under a longer gown, and I can pass myself off as young enough to wear a shorter skirt on occasion. I'm working on a short overskirt and vest made from some curtain fabric, which I think will work with the petticote the way I have it now. I might end up taking up the length a little, and I'm leaning pretty heavily to adding a bit of lace trim around the bottom to make it look more decorative when peeking out from under my skirts. I figure I can deal with both tasks at once if I decide to do either.

Will add pictures as soon as I take them -- just want to get this stuck safely up on the web for now. I distrust auto-saves. <<;; >>;;

No comments:

Post a Comment